the Hijabhills debut with RUBA ZAI


RUBA ZAI "THE HIJABHILLS DEBUT"

----
We had the pleasure a few days ago to talk to Ruba from Hijabhills!! The beautiful Afghan Rotterdam born YouTuber talked to us about how she got into being a YouTube personality for fashion oriented hijabis out there. First of all, we'd like to say that we love HijabHills for her serious emphasis on Modesty in her fashion choices! A good personality with a bright sense of style with an unforgotten spiritual talk is never a bad choice!

----

How did you get into YouTube?



"When I started wearing Hijab, I was struggling with what to wear and how to style my hijab. Alhamdulilah I eventually found the right style for me. Right then, I got questions from people asking how I styled my scarves and how to do it so I figured, more people would be interested in this!
I never really used to watch hijab tutorials at that time, I was more into makeup so I mainly got my inspiration from websites and blogs because it was easier then to follow with the steps."

Was it a big step for you to start making videos on a public international platform?


"At first I didn't tell anybody I knew about YouTube except for my parents, I had a fear of what my friends and family would think! The big question was ''Would they make fun of me?!'' I didn't really mind people I didn't know because it's none of their business."

What about your blogging experience?


"Hijab-hills.com isn't really a blog, it's more of a website, a platform where people can find me and my videos. It's not really ready yet! I do post my outfits of the day on it because I thought, instead of filling Instagram or filming videos, might as well have a space dedicated to that."

What is it like wearing Hijab in The Netherlands?


"It really depends on where you are and what you want. People don't look at you with a staring look in the streets but it's definitely a challenge when you are looking for a job. If you go to small towns you will notice that people do look at you more. It's mostly because they are not familiar with Muslims but let's say that in general, it is okay. When you look at England, of course, it still has a long way to go but Holland is getting there!"


Now that you are well settled on YouTube, what is the next step for you?


"I will be going to the United States in March, to meet my followers and to be physically there on the International Muslimah Fashion Week. We will be doing a meet&greet! I also plan on going to Malaysia and Indonesia soon insha'Allah. That's basically what I want to do. Vlogging and blogging is a 24/7 job so it is definitely challenging and time consumming to make videos and be present on social medias so that's what I am focusing on now."

When did you feel like people where now really following you on social medias?


"Last year in october, I was invited to SmokyNotSmudgy and that was a unique experience for me because it was the first time I got invited on an international level (London). So when I went there, many girls knew me and wanted to take pictures and were all shaky when they did! I was like ''oh my god, what is this?!'' Right then, It hit that it wasn't something in my bedroom anymore, that it had gone beyond that. Also, even in Rotterdam I noticed hijabi girls recognizing me in the streets. I would say, after that, I understood that YouTube and social medias do influence."

We noticed that you do everything in English when your mothertongue is dutch, why?


"I have always been an international student so speaking English wasn't a problem to me and I also noticed that each country had their hijabi representative. For example, Koweit has Ascia AKF or Indonesia has Dian Pelangi, Dina Tokio for England, or Amenakin, and so on. I thought about how Holland needed someone who could be representing in and out of the country."

Shot by Langston Hues for Modeststreetfashion.com


Favorites of Ruba


Favorite fashion trends at the moment?


- I like to focus on what is coming ahead, so right now, I am focusing on how spring is almost here, all the pastel colors I will be wearing! I feel like in winter, I am more of a rock glam/chic kind of girl but when the sunny days come, I tend to become super girly!

Favorite outfit if you have a classy event to got to?


- I don't really have a go-to outfit for any event but I do work with a stylist, who is the owner of SADOQ Muslimah fashion Wear (sadoq) and when I have something planned, we sit together and choose, we plan way before time! But it's always heels and skirt!
I could call her at 2 am! I'll call her up and be like, "I have an event tomorrow, you neeeed to help me!!" she would sometimes hate me for this!

Policy on color


 - During Spring and Summer I am a super colorful person! But in winter I will be automatically grabbing black out of my closet. I can honestly say, you cannot go wrong with black! You can look bold, and girly, make a statement and be classy just by wearng black.

A fashion advice to being more modest ?


- Definitely a skirt or boyfriend jeans. Skirts make anything modest, you just need a cute top.
And boyfriend jeans, it can definitely look modest when you style it the right way.

-------------------------



We want to thank Ruba for her time, for answering our questions and wish her all the best, may your life be a success! as well as your afterlife InshaAllah!

Thanks for reading! If you want to know more about HIJABHILLS, 
Follow the links below!
For great tutorials >



T H E  B L O G G E R S  T A L K

2014





3 thoughts:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, one of my favourite youtubers xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, congratulations. I really love this woman, she's really inspirational, seeing muslim girls like that around the world make me proud. And when she said, that she somehow wanted to represent Holland, I though, hey, why don't I try and represent muslim fashion in Spain? but as she said, doing videos is a full time job, and I'm right now so focused on my architectural degree that I don't think I have that much time, for now I will stay with my blog.

    xoxo

    Her Place at The Universe

    ReplyDelete

 

CONTACT

info.bloggerstalk@gmail.com

Who we are

We are two personal style bloggers from France and The Netherlands, we love modest fashion and we think it’s time we have a platform that helps you know the upcoming modest fashion icons!
We hope you find great inspiration reading the interviews we feature here, don’t hesitate to contribute by requesting interviews of your favorite bloggers. The more you request, the more we will be able to provide interesting content!!
Any contribution from you will help us improve this blog and make it more enjoyable!

info.bloggerstalk@gmail.com