Camila of Style Modesta



Style Modesta


Get to know this bird! Camila is the woman behind the blog Style Modesta. This blog is the closest thing to a fashion magazine and we loved reading it and getting to know this Colombian muslim fashionista so we thought you guys needed to know about her! 
Camila focuses on writing articles about the evolution of modest fashion and how to tackle the different issues that come with it. 
"Kikistyleblog" is also a great place for style inspiration!




Introduce Yourself

My name is Camila, I am a fashion writer in Colombia and I converted to Islam five years ago in the city of Bogota. I was introduced to the religion through my courses in Business school. I had an ethics class where we explored a bit of the arab world and that's how I started looking into it, I was first more fascinated by the arabian traditions, history and lifestyle but I soon got sucked in the religious aspect of it. The fundaments of Islam made perfect sense to me so I went to the only mosque we have here in Bogota and talked to the people there. The muslim community here is very small and it was even smaller five years ago! I got to ask many questions and even kept my fast during Ramadan, wore a scarf to the mosque before I was even a muslim. I took my shahadah after Eid and wore the scarf on the same day, I never took it off since that day.



A witty and relevant blog for people who love to read


My full time job is as a freelance fashion writer for big Colombian fashion platforms, I am the only hijabi working in fashion in my country. The reaction I get from people is usually one of interest and curiosity, it is not negative or positive, I am just different to them, and being different is always a good point in the fashion industry.

Style Modesta is a blog I started in 2012. I first started sharing my outfit of the days before it slowly progressed into something that resembles more a modest lifestyle page. I wanted to be able to provide a different support for muslim women. Not a 'fashion only' kind of platform but a place where real questions could be asked and debated on the controversial mixing of faith and fashion. I want to have real talks, so readers could have a real opinion on modesty and fashion pieces.
It wouldn't be only about color and style, but also reflection and building an opinion.

When I converted five years ago, I didn't put much effort in my appearance, my style was very granny-ish. It all started changing when I became a fashion student, I started being more aware of the choice of my clothes and it also helped my mother accept my conversion to Islam better.
It was very difficult for my family to accept my conversion at first. 
Even if they are now fine with it, I know that my mother is still very skeptical, especially when I wear a full length abaya..!

I am currently in the process of moving to London where I will be completing a Masters in Fashion journalism. This will be a new chapter of my life as I will be in a completely different country but I am quite excited about the prospect and the different opportunities. London is a boiling city when it comes to modest fashion and that is what I am looking for...being where the things are happening!
I also am very interested in starting to make more videos on my YouTube channel with a different content.


--------------
We are very thankful to Camila for sharing the story of both her conversion and blogging journey, it was an immense pleasure!

Camila's social media:
Instagram
Blog
Twitter

------

T H E  B L O G G E R S  T A L K 
2014




0 thoughts:

Post a Comment

 

CONTACT

info.bloggerstalk@gmail.com

Who we are

We are two personal style bloggers from France and The Netherlands, we love modest fashion and we think it’s time we have a platform that helps you know the upcoming modest fashion icons!
We hope you find great inspiration reading the interviews we feature here, don’t hesitate to contribute by requesting interviews of your favorite bloggers. The more you request, the more we will be able to provide interesting content!!
Any contribution from you will help us improve this blog and make it more enjoyable!

info.bloggerstalk@gmail.com