madammebk PARIS, high end burkinis





Madammebk is a parisian brand that specializes in making modesty friendly swimsuits. Called burkinis, these swimsuits provide maximum coverage and meet your restrictions!

Keep reading and get to know the entrepreneur behind Madammebk, Vanessa Lourenco and the story that led her to the world of burkinis.

"They carry the most comfortable and fashionable burkinis I have ever seen! They are my favorite! Won't wear anything else!'' - Youtube blogger Yazthespaz on Madammebk



How did you start?


Well, it was in 2010, I did my first swimsuit for my friend. She is a muslim and we were going to Cannes and she didn’t have anything to wear for the beach so I told her, why not browse the internet to find something online!? But unfortunately it was complicated, but nevertheless we ordered one. It ended up being of very poor quality, the fabric was not suitable for swimming and not fashionable at all.
I am Brazilian, and at the time, I had come to Paris to study Haute Couture. I was doing wedding dresses, I did that for six months, it was very cool, we did some really nice fashion shows around Europe, even one for the prince of Serbia!

So back to the story, I decided to sew a swimsuit for my muslim friend so she could swim and still be covered. I went to Le Marché Saint-Pierre in paris and got the fabric, we made one and it worked perfectly. Later on, she showed it to her other friends and soon enough, I started getting calls from them to order some because they loved it!

When did it become your main activity?


My parents saw this, and they were like, “Vanessa, there is something we could do here..!”, So I thought about it and jumped right in.
My father is in the military so it’s his their field at all but my parents were very supportive really supported me.
It wasn't my first experience in starting a brand, before all this,  I already had an experience in designing and retail, I had had a brand back in brazil with an associate. We had a boutique and we made and sold dresses. When I decided to come to Paris and start Haute Couture I sold it to her and moved!

Did you find starting a business in France more difficult than when you had done in back in Brazil?


When I started, it was easier because I knew what I was getting myself into, roughly. I was in another country so it still was different. The legislation, the manufacturing and shipping, that was new.
It was more difficult, yes. Mainly because the business is not as exponential as it is in brazil. Everything is getting smaller here. I found the right fabric for my swimsuits in Italy, so it gets shipped to Normandy, in the north of France and there, the production starts. So it’s definitely a lot more work then it was in Brazil.

Now that you have this modest swimsuit business, what kind of image do you think you’re giving to Burkinis? Do you intend to make it a high fashion piece?


I think it is, because according to the feedback I get, I know I am making high quality, I am making well made pieces. I thought, if I am going to get myself into this, I want to make the best there is, so here I am making what I do best.
Now it is getting better, and bigger. we are making dresses and skirts so it ’s evolving but still, Burkinis are the symbol of this brand.

Would you say that it is a french brand?


Yes, because it’s based here! in Paris, and we make it in france. So it is definitely french.


What is it like being a non-muslim Brazilian woman designing for muslim women (mainly)?


Actually I never thought about it. In Brazil, we didn’t use to see a lot of muslims. Brazilians are very open minded, so when I came here I met  many people from different nationalities and backgrounds, I didn’t think it was something odd.
But seeing people’s reaction when I tell them what I do, I understand now that I am doing something that is totally unusual. When I was in the United States for a fashion show last year, I noticed that I was the only non muslim there and no one had a clue that I was the designer, I noticed that I was stared at.
For that show, I had decided to sit with the people to see their reactions and when it started, I noticed girls really appreciating my work, I heard things like “ oh my god! this is so amazing!” So I was really happy with the reaction and they were amazed that I was the designer, also, they were questioning why I would start such a business if I wasn't muslim.

How  did you decide on the swimsuit design?


I use two colors, mostly. I do what I think is nice, my motto is that if I like it, I'll do it. I like colorful stuff, I like lace and ruffles, I like when it is girly and lively. If you think about it, it is a normal dress, what changes is the fabric. I think the success of my brand has also to do with the fact that I am not muslim and I only see it from a creative point of view. I feel like I allow myself to put more color and creativity without incorporating religion into it. But I still am careful to make it covered. 


Shop at madammebk

What about the dresses?


I started designing the dresses on January and it is going really well, I love them and wear them all the time. They are very classy and unique, very sophisticated. Something you could wear to look a bit more dressed up than usual.
(Visit the website to see the dresses collection from madammebk)

What’s the best part of what you do?


Having good feedback. I have never ever received a message or anything pejorative about my brand or any of my pieces. I think that is the best part of doing something of quality. I got really good feedback from YaztheSpaz, for example, who did a video reviewing my burkinis and wears them very often.

Have you ever thought about owning a physical boutique for MadammeBK?


I am not interesting in owning a boutique at the moment, I an thinking of expanding by renting spaces in malls and department stores and getting in contact with retailers. So retailers around the world, contact me! 

What do you have to say about Modest Fashion?


I think modest fashion is without a doubt growing and expanding, and it needs visibility. Until now, it is still mainly an internet based trend and market. I tried to look for physical boutiques for retail and I noticed a lack of professionalism and specialization in modest fashion so there is definitely something to do in the future here. 


-----------------

We'd like to thank Vanessa for answering our questions and for her warmth and enthusiasm! You're a gem!

You liked it? Madammebk ships worldwide! 
And if you're looking for a burkini for this summer, you know where you can find one!
visit the site and make up your mind!

Madammebk on Facebook
on instagram

-----------------------------------

T H E   B L O G G E R S  T A L K

2014




0 thoughts:

Post a Comment

 

CONTACT

info.bloggerstalk@gmail.com

Who we are

We are two personal style bloggers from France and The Netherlands, we love modest fashion and we think it’s time we have a platform that helps you know the upcoming modest fashion icons!
We hope you find great inspiration reading the interviews we feature here, don’t hesitate to contribute by requesting interviews of your favorite bloggers. The more you request, the more we will be able to provide interesting content!!
Any contribution from you will help us improve this blog and make it more enjoyable!

info.bloggerstalk@gmail.com